Home

How This Legislation

Will Bring Minnesota

Forward As A World  Class Education System

The Challenge:

  • The Achievement gap, K-12, in Minnesota schools, has not budged. We have one of the worst in the nation
  • Our students are bored and disengaged in schools
  • The school age population is changing. In 2019, one half of all students in Minnesota’s schools were students of color
  • Gifted students are an underserved population in our schools. We received an “F” for our failures
  • Only a third of districts in the state have gifted programs
  • The workplace is changing. Our students need a different preparation. Entry-level jobs are being replaced by automation and robotics
  • Tax revenue is threatened
  • While Minnesota received some good news with surplus of over $1.3B, there will be a surplus in the second year biennium.  

A Solution:

  • Teach all students 21st century thinking skills and strategies
  • Inquiry learning and problem-based learning, which provide choice in learning and strength base learning opportunities, increase student motivation and engagement, while learning critical and creative thinking skills
  • The legislation triples funding for gifted programming and includes Universal Screening as an expectation expanding gifted programming, including students not typically served in the programs.  African American, Latinos, Native Americans, Disabled Students, Twice Exceptional would always be included in the gifted roster in all districts in Minnesota.   While teaching all students, K-12, these advanced thinking skills, we would be building a strong workforce ready for trade schools or college and a lifetime of opportunity for higher paying employment. More students graduating with a deep background in these advanced skills will positively impact tax revenue.
  • In Minnesota with over 300 school districts, only about 22% of the school district used the funding as intended.  The other 78%  simply folded the $13PPU into the general operational funding stream, ignored the intent of the legislation and never started a gifted program.
  • Expecting districts to fulfill the intent of the this legislation, would require some accountability and the MDE would be orchestrating the process
    There exists an accountability element in the legislation:

HF 1994 and SF 1700 was introduced to House and Senate Finance Committee. We have collected 13 signatures in the House and 20 signatures in the Senate, bipartisan support. We have been beaten by the Pandemic as funding went in that direction. But next session, with the surplus still there, we will be back at the Capitol seeking signatures again on HF 1994 and SF 1700, along with SF 2523, SF 2530 and SF 2408.

IIILMinnesota  Our Facebook Page